Queen Victoria Care began its long and celebrated life in 1891 as The Convalescent Home in Granton, southern Tasmania and moved to New Town, a suburb of Hobart, in 1895. In 1898, a sizeable bequest from William Guesdon, a wealthy auctioneer and businessman originally from England, allowed the purchase of land in Lindisfarne and the Home became known as The Victoria Convalescent Home in honour of Queen Victoria’s Jubilee.
A new Home was officially opened in 1900 and soon after the Mafeking Relief Ward was opened by the Governor of Tasmania. These early years of the Home provided care for the sick, the poor, women patients from the General Hospital who weren’t well enough to return home, and ‘after care’ for polio children from the General Hospital. Part of the Home was run by the Red Cross as a rest and convalescent home for servicewomen during World War II.
In 1959, the work of the Home was officially refocused to meet the needs of aged persons. The Queen Victoria Home for the Aged was incorporated and land acquired under the Guesdon bequest was sold to help fund a new Aged Care Home which opened in 1960. Two new wings were added in 1962.
Pictorial records of life at the new Queen Victoria Home for the Aged in the 1960s and 70s show the Home engaged with not only the local Lindisfarne community but also the wider Hobart social scene. The Rose Garden was conceived and developed at the Home in 1962 by the Lindisfarne Garden Club, while the women’s auxiliary actively raised funds with events that were an important part of Queen Victoria Home life.
The 1990s began two decades of development – 16 independent living units were completed at Lincoln Street; 24 units at Victoria Mews; 47 ensuite high standard rooms, 10 two-roomed apartments, and an auditorium, pool, gymnasium, café, hair salon and laundry completed the Peter Top Wing; and major upgrades were completed to the now Lord Fraser, Murphy, Ken Stewart and John Rowland Wings.
The satellite property, Victoria Court was rebuilt with five one-bed and seven two-bed units featuring flat, accessible parking and level entry. In 2013, seven high standard units were completed on the Esplanade Boundary as part of the Perimeter Property Development Strategy. Queen Victoria Care (QVC), as the Home became known in 2016, now has 60 independent living units and will continue development as perimeter properties are acquired.
The Home has long enjoyed strong royal connections, with the Governor of Tasmania, Ms Kate Warner, officially celebrating 125 years of the Queen Victoria Care in 2016.